Antenatal Add On: Relax Into Birth Hypnobirthing
Charlene is the founder of the Relax Into Birth programme and is a WOMBS trained doula. She also spent three years teaching the Marie Mongan Hypnobirthing courses in Cape Town, until she became a doula and created Relax Into Birth. She is a Hypnotherapist (non medical) and has a degree in Journalism (2003) and writes for a host of South African women’s monthly magazines, including Longevity, Life Healthcare (the hospital magazine for the Life Group of Hospitals) and Pick ‘n Pay Baby Mag. She also offers holistic massage using Colour Therapy through Reflexology and Usui Reiki Ryoho for pregnancy and the postnatal period.
When Charlene fell pregnant, she could not believe nor trust her body to attempt natural birth, but through education and encouragement, she changed from planning an elective caesarean in hospital to having a homebirth with an independent midwife and doula in attendance. Angela Wakeford, independent midwife at Birth Options was her midwife 🙂
“Working as a doula and creating the Relax Into Birth programme has given me a very practical perspective on birth. My aim at every birth is to mirror exactly what the mother needs in any given situation, so that the experience she has is a positive one,” she says. “My experience has taught me how important it is to educate and support mothers through their pregnancy, labour and birth so that they know they have options available to them to make informed decisions at every point on their birthing journey.”
WHY SHOULD YOU JOIN THE RELAX INTO BIRTH PROGRAMME?
Since inception, almost 1000 mothers have attended the Cape Town workshops, with a 70% natural birth rate and VBACS.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF COMPLETING THE COURSE?
- We delve into very useful coping skills for labour and birth.
- You will gain an understanding of how your uterus benefitsfrom relaxation and how it can help your labour progress.
- Relax Into Birth will teach you how to stagger your natural pain relief options before using medical pain relief opiates.
- Go on to your birthing day with an extensive skillset of breathing techniques, birthing positions,massage and hypnobirthing techniques.
- You will receive three beautifully recorded visualisation and relaxation soundtracks, recorded in my voice. These are for conditioning you towards a birth free of fear.
- Two course manuals, one for each session.
- You will be eligible for a free doula info consultation upon completion of the course.
WHAT DOES THE PROGRAMME INCLUDE?
- The Science of Relaxation: Fear hormones and their affect on the uterus, labour and birth.
- The impact of deep relaxation on your hormones, cervix, labour and birth.
- The effect of the birthing environment and how to create a safe and relaxed space for birth in hospital and at home – in order to facilitate the correct hormonal balance.
- Very practical tools for facilitating deep relaxation for labour and birth, including labour and birth positions, additional breathing techniques, aromatherapy, reflexology, massage, acupressure points and other natural remedies and techniques.
- Hypnobirthing information and techniques.
JOINING UP WITH MIDWIFE-RUN ANTENATAL COURSES AROUND CAPE TOWN…
The courses are run in conjunction to Midwife-run antenatal courses, adding on two sessions to each course. You may also choose to do this course independently of any other antenatal course. Check out www.thebirthhub.co.za for an antenatal course in the South Peninsula. Relax Into Birth is a non-medical course, so I highly recommend you complete a midwife-run antenatal course as well. Midwife Susan Lees runs her antenatal course at Birth Options in Plumstead and Midwife Angela Wakeford runs an antenatal course in Fish Hoek.
- Course Materials: Two Course Manuals and three visualisation relaxation soundtracks, recorded in my voice for use in pregnancy, labour and birth.
- Cost: R950 per couple in total for 2 consecutive sessions of 2.5 hours each, run over 2 weeks.
- Venues: Birth Options (Plumstead) and Vincent Pallotti Hospital (Pinelands). Courses are run every month: contact me to find out more…
- One-on-one private courses are also offered in the comfort of your home upon request.
- COURSE ENROLLMENT 2018: 2018-RELAXINTOBIRTH-COURSEENROLMENT.DOCX